Exfoliation is the process of removing dead skin cells from the surface layer of your skin using a chemical, abrasive substance, accessory or tool.
The cycle of skin renewal is on average 28 days for adults, but this range of time varies by individual and also will lengthen as we age.
Your skin is constantly creating new skin cells and shedding dead skin cells. However, the process of shedding dead skin cells is not always the most esthetically pleasing. There can be dry patches, areas of flaky, uneven skin texture, or areas of accumulated dead skin that can result in clogged pores.
We recommend incorporating exfoliation into your skincare routine about 2-3x a week. This gives your skin a good rhythm of rest & renewal.
Here are a few Do's & Don'ts when it comes to incorporating Exfoliation into your routine:
1) DO: Be mindful of the exfoliation medium or tool that you choose to implement. Something that is too abrasive is actually damaging the layer of new skin underneath the surface.
2) DON'T: Scrubbing vigorously is ill advised (unless for the feet or other tough calloused skin area) because you are simply trying to help the dead skin cells along their way, you do not want to scrub into your fresh new skin.
3) DO: Tailor the frequency of exfoliation to your individual needs. As Seasons change, your diet & habits, and temperatures change, your skin will react differently to products you incorporate into your life. Our bodies are adaptive, listen and sync your routines.
4) DON'T: Do not exfoliate any area with skin abrasions that have open wounds. If you are having an active acne bout, exfoliation can further aggravate the area of concern and lead to infection.
5) DO: Moisturize generously after any exfoliation routine. Make sure the delicate new skin is quenched and protected.
6) DON'T: Do not interchange the use of exfoliation products that are meant for different parts of the body! The texture of ingredients in a foot scrub meant to shed callouses will be much too abrasive for the delicate skin on the face.
Blendily offers a variety of exfoliating products & accessories. We hope you found this article insightful. Happy Shedding!